If there was one breakfast food that I could eat every day and never gain an ounce it would be Cream Chipped Beef. For as long as I can possibly remember, CCB has been my goto breakfast option.
Finding a healthier / paleo option was a gift from the food gods and now a family favorite.
This super simple "gravy" can be used with chipped beef or as gravy for your holiday meals. Sadly, I am not the original creator of this recipe, but I am rather fond of it.
You need the following for the gravy:
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 heaping tablespoons of kerrygold butter
- A dash of two of black pepper
- 1 - 2 tablespoons of Tapioca flour (potato starch or arrowroot flour would also work)
- 5 - 6 heaping tablespoons of almond flour
- 1 1/4 of chicken bone broth
- 1 tablespoon of almond milk
- sea salt to taste
Note about the sea salt: if you are using the gravy for chipped beef, do not add extra salt as the chipped beef will be salty enough
Melt kerrygold butter into a pan and add diced onions (will take about 15 - 20 minutes to brown). Once the onions are browned add black pepper, tapioca flour, and almond flour. Once the flours and pepper have been added add in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil - the gravy will begin to thicken. If the gravy is too thick add more almond milk, if too runny add more tapioca or almond flour until the desired consistency is reached.
To further blend the gravy we will run a batch through our blender or food processor. Typically one batch makes one standard size mason jar full.
For our version of chipped beef:
- 1/2 pound of chipped beef
- 1 - 2 cups of sliced or diced red skinned potatoes - that have been roasted or pan roasted in kerrygold with a bit of Flavor God garlic lovers and everything spices
Once the potatoes are soft and ready for serving add in desired amount of chipped beef and gravy. Serve and enjoy!
I couldn't let this post end without sharing one of my favorite photos! My husband, Patrick, is my official taste tester, meal prep assistant, and partner in crime for all things health and wellness. Every time I see this photo, my heart melts.