After 3 years of Paleo, I've finally hit my breaking point over sweet corn this summer. Maybe it's because I drive by a local farm stand every day on my way to the gym that taunts me with a sign for sweet corn. I caved to my cravings and created this flavorful chowder with chorizo, summer vegetables, and fresh cilantro. [Scroll for recipe]
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 yellow squash and zucchini
- 1 cup of sliced carrots
- 6 ears of corn cut from the cob
- 3/4 pound of ground chorizo
- 1/2 of a medium cauliflower
- 16 ounces of chicken or vegetable stock (reserve 1/2 a cup)
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (omit if red pepper flakes make dish too spicy)
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- dash or two of garlic
- fresh cilantro
- salt/pepper to taste
Combine diced vegetables (except cauliflower) into crockpot with stock. Steam cauliflower and set aside. Brown ground chorizo in a pan over and then add to crockpot.
To thicken the chowder- blend/puree cauliflower in a high powered blender or food processor. To thin cauliflower puree add in the reserved chicken stock. Once cauliflower is well blended and no chunks or lumps appear add crockpot.
Cook for 4 - 5 hours in crockpot and serve with fresh cilantro and ENJOY!